Become a Mentor
Welcome, College Students
Who comes to mind when you think about a mentor… a person who has supported, encouraged, and guided you in your life? What would it feel like to be that person for someone else? College Mentors for Kids taps into the power of relationships to help both you and your mentee build resiliency and become better prepared to tackle life’s many challenges.
Do you remember what it felt like the first time you stepped onto a college campus? Our program gives kids a chance to experience that unique feeling and explore potential pathways while helping you feel more connected to both your campus and the wider community you live in.
What does it feel like to find a space where you can be yourself? College Mentors for Kids provides both kids and college students with a place to belong and build skills to thrive now and in the future. Our program is free for kids and mentors because we know access to enriching after-school opportunities is not always equitable. College students help fundraise to support the program.
After several years of adapting due to COVID, we are excited for all campuses to be in-person, on-campus this year!
College Mentors for Kids was created by college students for college students.
- The kids come to campus. You do not need a car to participate.
- Mentoring activities take place at the same time each week and follow the academic year.
- You are matched one-on-one with a little buddy and activities take place in a group setting. Because activities take place in a group you are not responsible for planning activities each week.
Steps to Become a Mentor
1. Application & Interview Process
2. Criminal Background Check & Sex Offender Registry
3. Fingerprinting & Child Abuse Registry Checks (for select chapters)
4. Completing Online Trainings
5. Committing to One Academic Year of Mentoring
Desired Skills and Traits
- Emotionally mature
Benefits of Mentoring
- Grow with and learn from a child
- Serve as a positive influence in the life of another person
- Get more involved in your campus and community
- Develop leadership skills
- Build new connections
- Must be at least 18 years old and enrolled at a university with a College Mentors chapter
- Must be willing to make a minimum of a one-year commitement
- Must be available to attend at least one activity day per week
- Must complete an online application and participate in an in-person interview
- Must be able to successfully pass a background check
- Must complete online volunteer training modules and attend an in-person Chapter Kick-off
- Attend all College Mentors for Kids activities except in the case of illness or emergency
- Actively participate in every activity and give your little buddy your full attention
- Keep your little buddy physically and emotionally safe
- Serve as a positive role model and a constant source of support
- Ask questions and encourage your little buddy to think critically about what they are learning
- Assist your little buddy in developing a vision and goals for the future
- Set clear behavior expectations for your little buddy and ensure they are met
- Participate in chapter fundraising efforts
- Attend all fundraising, training, and celebratory events hosted by your chapter
Interested in becoming a Mentor?
By clicking APPLY HERE, you agree to the expectations listed above.