As a mentor, you have a unique opportunity to be a role model for elementary students. With chapters at 32 colleges and universities across Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, New York, Ohio, Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, and Missouri, we had more than 3,300 college student volunteers in the 2019 school year. College Mentors creates student-run chapters on university campuses. What does being a mentor with College Mentors for Kids mean?
College Mentors for Kids…
- Utilizes the energy and passion of college students.
- Partners with local elementary schools to enroll kids in the program.
- Provides transportation to bring kids to campus for mentoring activities that take place after school for two hours once a week throughout the academic year.
- Pairs each child one-on-one with a college student mentor but activities take place in a small group to allow for peer-to-peer learning.
- Focuses on activity topics on higher education and careers, culture & diversity, and community service.
- Helps kids grow through a structured curriculum that includes reading time, guest speakers from all areas of college life, hands-on activities, and journal time for reflection.
This year, as a result of the COVID-19, we have created a virtual program called College Mentors at Home. Check out the video to learn more about our virtual program!
College Mentors at Home has two core concepts:
- Develop a relationship with your little buddy: College Mentors Connect will be an academic year-long opportunity for a few local buddy pairs to connect via weekly hour-long video chats or phone calls. All participants in College Mentors at Home will join a buddy family in College Mentors Connect.
- Learn alongside little buddies via live-streamed activities: College Mentors Live will be an opportunity for little buddies and volunteers to tune into a streamed college-student-led College Mentors activity once per week. Our expansive network of chapters will give everyone the opportunity to learn from universities near and far during College Mentors Live.
For each program model, we are seeking motivated, dedicated mentors who are passionate about inspiring youth to discover new pathways and reach their full potential. Find the link below to apply today!
Does your school have a College Mentors chapter? Check out where we are here.